Sunday, August 31, 2014

Walk On The Wild Side

I'm not a big card maker, however, I do enjoy making invitations.  And when my sister asked me to make invitations for her first grandchild's baby shower, with an animal theme, I was looking forward to a different project, since I usually stick to scrapbooking.

I did a lot of searching on pinterest, but couldn't really find anything that inspired me, which is unusual.  Everything was either too "cutesy" which is not my sister at all, or had to be done digitally, which I'm not into.  So, I hit the stores to get some inspiration, and not a lot of luck there either.  Michael's paper selection was "eh."  Nothing much animal themed at all and the one pack that was were pinks and purples, and they're having a boy.  What was going on?


In Joanne's I found some super cute, glittery giraffe washi tape which got me going.  Glittery without being girly.  I decided the rest of my supplies needed to have a more natural vibe.  Even though my sister wanted a animal/jungle theme, I didn't want animals on the invite, so I was really happy when I found zebra paper and rafia.  Finished up with some kraft envelopes from David Tutera that were on clearance for 50%.  Score.

I used some Making Memories glitter stickers from my stash for the word "wild" and some glittery thickers for the word "joy."  I outlined the small black words "we're" and "wild" with a white pen to make give them some definition on top of the patterned paper.

 The inside really pops!  I used a die from Art Gone Wild that creates these little pop-up templates for you.  My friend and fellow crafting buddy, La-Vie, and I attended a rubber stamp show last spring, taking a class from Art Gone Wild and used this tool to make super-cute birthday cards.  I immediately thought about using it for these invites because it really creates a unique look.  In class, we used plain white cardstock, for my little pop ups, I used a textured, colored paper, and I have to say, it was a little tricky finding the scored marks.  It worked, but in the future I'll use untextured paper.






I attached the word "boy" on each of my little pop up "trees," added some leaves I cut out with my Cricut, and tied on a bit of rafia.  As on the cover, I outlined the small black letters with a white pen, as well as the leaves.  I also lightly inked the card with some blue chalk ink.

My sister will fill in the bottom with the time and location of the shower, so I'm done!  I think they are awesome.  Contemporary, not cutesy, but still with a wild vibe. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment